Duties and Responsibilities
An officer at this rank may be deployed at the Kenya Police Service (KPS) Headquarters, County or in any of the following formations/unit:- General Service Unit, Kenya Police College, Traffic Department, Anti Stock Theft Unit, Kenya Airport Police Unit, Presidential Escort, Kenya Railway Police, Diplomatic Police Unit, Marine Police Unit, Tourist Police Unit, Police Dog Unit.
Headquarters, Formations and Units
Duties and responsibilities of an officer at this rank will entail: deputizing Assistant Inspector General and heading specific Formations/Units; advising on the establishment of police stations, police posts, patrol bases and determine their boundaries; performing morning call ups and evening briefs; deploying officers under him or her and assigning them duties; ensuring servicing and maintenance of government vehicles under his/ her command; undertaking regular briefing to the Deputy Inspector General on all police activities within his/her command; perusing various case files and giving proper guidance; undertaking performance appraisal of officers; coordinating training and development programmes; coordinating research on crime to inform security policy; plan and coordinating detection and prevention of crime and apprehension of offenders; coordinating crime analysis and reporting using appropriate methods; maintaining liaison with other formation/unit commanders; establishing various policing programmes; dealing with disciplinary cases; and maintaining relations with stakeholders.
An officer at this level may be deployed as a County Commander. Duties and responsibilities will entail:- undertaking general administration of the County; performing morning call ups and evening briefs; deploying officers; undertaking regular briefing to the Deputy Inspector General on all police activities within the command; dealing with discipline cases within the county; perusing case files and giving advice; coordinating crime analysis and reporting using appropriate methods within the service; liaising with representatives of government departments and county Governments in their areas of jurisdiction on security matters; maintaining liaison with other commanders and officers across ranks; coordinating national days’ celebrations in collaborations with relevant stakeholders; dealing with disciplinary cases; overseeing appraisal of officers; developing plans for implementation and support of community policing; coordinating research on crime to inform security policy; and establishing various policing programmes to address crime.
Duties and responsibilities of an officer deployed at the Training Institution will entail:- overseeing the general administration of the training institution; ensuring Police properties, equipment, facilities including vehicles are in good condition; overseeing the institution’s financial, discipline and human resource planning/management; undertaking review of training curriculum; setting, marking and moderating examinations; carrying out evaluation of training programmes; and mentoring, coaching and appraising of staff.
Requirements for Appointment to Commissioner of Kenya Police
For appointment to this rank, an officer must have:-
- served in the rank of Senior Superintendent of Kenya Police for a minimum period of three (3) years;
- Bachelors degree in any of the following fields:- Criminology, Law, Police Science, Education, Security Management and Police Work, Public Administration, Strategic Management, Human Resource Management, Peace Building and Conflict Management, Physical Education, Music, Media and Public Relations, Sociology, Risk and Disaster Management, or an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership and Command Programme lasting not less than three (3) months or its equivalent from recognized institution;
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership and Development Programme lasting not less than six (6) weeks;
- no disciplinary conviction for the last six (6) months;
- met the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 on Leadership and Integrity and Article 232 on Values and Principles of Public Service; and
- shown proven merit and ability in work performance and results.
Note: In addition, an officer at this rank will be required to undergo any of the skills upgrading courses stipulated in Clause 10 of these Guidelines.