Duties and Responsibilities
An officer at this rank may be deployed at the Kenya Police Service (KPS) Headquarters, or in any of the following formations/unit:- General Service Unit, Kenya Police College, Traffic Department, Anti Stock Theft Unit, Kenya Airport Police Unit, Presidential Escort, Kenya Railway Police, Diplomatic Police Unit, Marine Police Unit, Tourist Police Unit, Police Dog Unit.
Headquarters, Formations and Units
An officer at this rank may be deployed as a head of administrative unit, Region or commandant of a major formation/unit.
Duties and responsibilities of an officer at this rank will entail:-being responsible to the Deputy Inspector General, Kenya Police Service for effective and efficient day to day administration of specific Police regions, directorates, colleges or formations/units; formulating and implementing policy directions of the service in their respective commands or areas; preparing budgets, strategic and operational plans for their respective commands and areas of deployment; managing, supervising, monitoring and evaluating performance of their respective commands or area; promoting cooperation with international police agencies; coordinating and monitoring the implementation of police operations; cooperating with the public or private agencies to provide reliable police statistics on crime rates; and carrying out intelligence analysis and dissemination of reports.
An officer at this rank may be deployed a training institution as Deputy Commandant of a major training institutions or head other training institutions within Kenya Police Service and will be responsible to the Senior Assistant Inspector General of Kenya Police Service for the effective and efficient administration of the training institutions. Duties and responsibilities will entail:- formulating and implementing policy and directions of the service in their respective commands; managing, supervising, monitoring and evaluating performance for their respective commands; overseeing training and instructional duties in the training institution; managing human resource in the institution including their welfare; dealing with personnel discipline within the training institution; overseeing appraisal of staff within their commands; maintaining liaison with other stakeholders on security training issues; initiating training policies; ensuring prudent utilization and management of resources; facilitating culture change and capacity building in training institutions; and managing performance contract and appraisal reports.
Requirements for Appointment for appointment to Assistant Inspector general
For appointment to this rank, an officer must have:-
- served in the rank of Commissioner of Kenya Police for a minimum period of three (3) years;
- Bachelors degree in any of the following fields:- Criminology, Law, Police Science, Education, Security Management and Police Work, Public Administration, Strategic Management, Human Resource Management, Peace Building and Conflict Management, Physical Education, Music, Media and Public Relations, Sociology, Risk and Disaster Management, or an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Masters degree in any of the following fields:- Criminology, Law, Police Science, Education, Security Management and Police Work, Public Administration, Strategic Management, Leadership and Security Management, Human Resource Management, Peace Building and Conflict Management, Physical Education, Music, Media and Public Relations, Sociology, Risk and Disaster Management, or an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership and Command Programme lasting not less than three (3) months or its equivalent from recognized institution;
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership and Development Programme lasting not less than six (6) week;
- no disciplinary conviction or adverse report in the last six (6) months;
- met the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 on Leadership and Integrity and Article 232 on Values and Principles of Public Service; and
- demonstrated high degree of professional competence and administrative capability required for effective planning, direction, control and coordination of the National Police function.
Note: In addition, an officer at this rank will be required to undergo any of the skills upgrading courses stipulated in Clause 10 of these Guidelines.