Six women defeated men in the gubernatorial race, according to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) results that are still trickling in.
In the last general election a total of three female governors were elected. The number seems to be taking an upward trajectory in this election.
By the time of publishing this article, a total of six female governors had been confirmed by the electoral body.
1. Gladys Wanga Wanga clinched the victory by garnering 244,559 votes against her closest competitor and former Nairobi governor Evans Kidero who managed to get 154,182 votes.
2. Anne Waiguru Waiguru was declared the winner after defending her seat on a United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party ticket, polling 113,088 votes.
3. Wavinya Ndeti Wavinya Ndeti was declared the winner in the Machakos gubernatorial race during the August 2022 General Election. Ndeti trounced her competitor Nzioka Waita of the Chama Cha Uzalendo (UCC) party.
4. Kawira Mwangaza contested for the Meru governor race and won on an independent ticket. Mwangaza floured incumbent Kiraitu Murungi and UDA party’s Mithika Linturi.
Kawira Mwangaza dethrones Kiraitu Murungi in Meru governor race polling 209,148 votes against Murungi’s 110,814
Kawira served Meru residents as a woman representative from 2017 to 2022.
Besides politics Mwangaza is also the co-owner of Baite TV, a vernacular TV station that targets Meru speakers. She co-owns the station alongside her husband Murega Baicu.
5. Susan Kihika Nakuru senator Susan Kihiga was announced the winner in the Agust 2022 gubernatorial race. Kihiga polled 440,797 votes against incumbent governor Lee Kinyanjui who polled 225,351 votes.
Prior to her gubernatorial win, she served as woman representative in Nakuru County since 2017 to 2022.
6. Fatuma Achani of UDA Party won Kwale Governor race. She is succeeding her boss Salim Mvurya. Fatuma served as Mvurya’s deputy governor since 2013.
Ms Achani picked Josephat Chirema Kombo as her principal assistant. Chirema has been a member of the county assembly for Samburu/Chengoni ward since 2013.