Homa Bay Woman Representative Gladys Wanga has become the first female governor in Nyanza region after trouncing former Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero in the Homa Bay gubernatorial contest.
Wanga takes over from Cyprian Awiti, who has served his maximum two terms.
According to the IEBC results, Wanga got 244,559 votes against Kidero’s 154,182 votes.
Speaking after being declared the winner, Wanga asked his competitors to let beygone be beygone and come together to better the lives of Homa Bay people
“To our worthy competitors, we ask that now that this is over, we should put the election behind us. We both had an agenda for Homabay so let us come together and serve the people of Homabay, ” said Gladys Wanga.
Here is list of governors who have been declared winners;
1. West Pokot County – UDA’s Simon Kachapin garnered 86,476 votes to trounce incumbent Governor John Lonyangapuo.
2. Busia County – ODM’s Paul Otuoma got 164,478 votes to clinch the seat. John Sakwa of ANC emerged second with 92,144 votes.
3. Homa Bay County – ODM’s Gladys Wanga wins Homa Bay Governor seat with 244,559 votes; Independent candidate Evans Kidero second with 154,182 votes.
4. Migori County – ODM’s Ochilo Ayacko wins Migori Governor seat with 175,226 votes; DAP-K’s John Pesa comes second with 126,171 votes.
5. Nandi County – Stephen Kipyego Arap Sang (UDA) declared winner after getting 237,045 votes followed by former Governor Cleophas Lagat (Independent) with 54,375 votes.
6. Kisumu County – Prof. Anyang Nyong’o of the ODM party re-elected for a second term.