The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is mandated to perform teacher management functions, including; registration, recruitment, deployment, remuneration, promotion and discipline of teachers. It is also the duty of the commission to maintain professionalism, integrity, and quality teaching standards in the teaching service.
The Commission performs the above functions through field agents and heads of educational institutions. The agents and heads of institutions play a critical role in teacher management.
In order to ensure quality management of educational institutions – in line with the Commission’s vision and mission and societal expectations – it is important to identify, appoint and train the right people to head institutions. This enhances good performance in educational institutions, and minimize incidents of discontent and unrest.
Qualifications for one to head post primary institution
For one to qualify for appointment to position of responsibility as a head of a post primary institution, he/she must:-
- Be a professionally qualified university Graduate Teacher/Technical
Teacher/Lecturer serving under the employment of the Teachers Service
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years continuous post qualification experience, two of which must have been at the level of Deputy Head of institution or Head of
- Have portrayed competence and ability both as a classroom teacher and an administrator.
- Be at a minimum grade of Job Group M on the Scheme of Service for Graduate
Teachers/Technical Teachers and Lecturers.
- Have attended at least two in-service courses in institutional management offered or recognized by the Kenya Education staff Institute (KESI).
- Have a clean personal record.
- Have shown or expressed interest in institution administration by applying for consideration to an advertised vacancy for headship.
- Have proved through evaluation to possess the needed qualities of a head of institution – For example, a pass in a selection interview and performance report.
TSC interview score sheet for promotion 2023
|SCORING AREAS||MAXIMUM SCORE||AWARDED SCORE|
|ADMINISTRATIVE ABILITIES IN THE CURRENT ASSIGNMENT|
|Participation in Education affairs||5|
|Knowledge on the formation, members and functions of PTA/BOM||5|
|Role of the Sponsor||2|
|Knowledge of education issues especially trends in the post independence period|
|Knowledge of all education commissions||3|
|Purpose for formation of such Commissions||3|
|Their respective recommendations||3|
|Knowledge of Curriculum development, implementation and evaluation|
|Structure of the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, KICD||3|
|Function of the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, KICD||5|
|Current trends in the Curriculum|
|Structure and function of the Teachers Service Commission||4|
|Functions and structure of Ministry of Education- Inspection and Directorate|
|Membership of the Kenya National Examinations Council||3|
|Relationship between TSC, MoE/MOEST, KNEC and KIE||5|
|LEGAL FRAME WORK IN EDUCATION|
|Taechers Service Commission||1|
|Kenya National Examinations Council||1|
|Trade and Dispute Act||1|
|TSC Code of Regulations for teachers||1|
|Schemes of service for teachers||1|
|A manual for Heads of Secondary Schools in Kenya||1|
|Other Educational Organizations|
|Kenya Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, KICD||2|
|Jomo Kenyatta Foundation||2|
|Kenya Literature Bureau||2|
It’s important to note that a candidate must score above 50% to be deployed.
Qualities of a good head of institution
- Is a good classroom teacher to enable him/her supervise curriculum organization, management and implementation.
- He/she will play the role of the internal inspector.
- Is accessible to the teaching staff; students, non-teaching staff, parents and members of the community.
- Be knowledgeable on the instruments used in the management of education e.g. the Education act, code of Regulation for Teachers, Heads Manual, Accounting instructions for secondary
institutions and prevailing education policies including issues on examination rules.
- Be resourceful and be a prudent manager of finance.
- Be a team player and have good public relations.
- A person of integrity and hence a good role model to teachers, students and the community.
- Has interest in knowing his students and teachers by name and background.
- Have a strong sense of commitment to duty.
- Be a good leader who is able to appeal to others.
- Be a facilitator
- Be proactive
Roles of the school heads
- The organization, management and implementation of the approved institution curriculum.
- Supervising specific teaching and learning activities in the institution as specified in the timetable.
- The management and control of institution resources.
- The management and motivation of the human resource in the institution.
- The management and maintenance of the institution facilities, plant and equipment, materials and
- Serving effectively as the secretary to the Institution Board of Management (BOM)