. Graduate Teachers
Applicants must have a minimum mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or two (2) Principles and one (1) Subsidiary pass at ‘A‘ Level. In addition, they must have either:
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects or,
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects or,
- Bachelor of Science with Education/Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects or,
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education and Extension with two teaching subjects.
N.B: Applicants with the following qualifications are also eligible;
- Diploma in Education Holders with a Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) and C+ (Plus) in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a Bachelors of Education Degree.
- Those who obtained Mean Grade C (Plain) at KCSE and C (Plain) in the subjects of study at A–Level and obtained at least 1 Principle and 2 Subsidiaries for Sciences, 2 Principles and 1 Subsidiary for Arts prior to undertaking a Bachelor of Education Degree.
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) in the two teaching subjects.
Hearing and visually impaired teachers who enrolled for training with Mean Grade of C (Plain) and C (Plain) in the two teaching subjects are eligible.
Applicants must have a minimum Mean Grade of C+ (Plus) at KCSE or its equivalent with at least C+ (Plus) in the two teaching subjects or one (1) Principle and two (2) Subsidiaries at ‘A‘-Level in subjects studied. In addition, they must have either:
- Bachelor of Education Technology (BED TECH); or,
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in any relevant technical Subject (s) /Course; or
- Higher Diploma in a technical course; or
- A Diploma in a technical course.
Further, applicants under category (ii) above MUST possess a Diploma in Technical Teacher Education from Kenya Technical Trainers College (KTTC), previously known as Kenya Technical Teachers College.
Applicants whose training is in subjects that are currently not in the Secondary School Curriculum do not qualify, irrespective of their having undertaken a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and/or enhancement.
This category includes but is not limited to Bachelor of Science /Bachelor of Arts in:
– Farm Machinery
-Fisheries Anthropology Biotechnology Theology/Divinity
2) Applicants with Economics/Commerce/Accounting can apply for Business Studies
Diploma Teachers with English/other subjects qualify for employment as teachers of English/Literature on condition that they have adequate units in both Language and Literature.
All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for Agriculture, Business Studies, Home Science, and Computer Studies. For those who did not study Business Studies and Computer Studies, one should have attained a minimum of C+ (Plus) in Mathematics at KCSE. For those who did not study Agriculture and Home Science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in Biology at KCSE.
Graduate Teachers should have studied a minimum of eight (8) course units in each. teaching subject. In addition, the teachers must have studied Special Methods in their two teaching subjects of choice together with a minimum of three (3) months teaching practice.
Enhancement certificate(s) and transcripts shall only apply where an applicant had not covered the minimum number of units during the degree/ diploma programme.
Applicants who chose to study a third subject must ensure that they have studied all the units in the chosen subject as offered by the selected institution for four years of study together with special methods and teaching practice. In addition, there should be evidence that the applicants have covered the approved credit hours for the course.
Applicants previously employed under contract and whose services were terminated due to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement certificates with adequate units are eligible to apply.
Kenya Sign Language (KSL) and Braille are considered as teaching subjects in Special Needs Education e.g. Biology/KSL and Geography/Braille.