This is the entry grade for primary school teachers.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT
To qualify for appointment to this grade, a teacher must:-
- have a Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) minimum mean Grade C (Plain) or other recognized equivalent qualifications;
- have a Primary Teacher Certificate (PTE) or its approved equivalent; have been registered as a teacher and in possession of a valid Teaching Certificate;
- meet the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution; and
- any other requirement the Commission may deem necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is the entry grade for primary school teachers. The duties of a teacher at this level shall be to:-
- prepare lesson plans, lesson notes, timetables, schemes of work and maintain academic standards in the school to ensure that the syllabus is covered in time for evaluation;
- teach the subjects of specialization and impart knowledge, skills and attitudes to the learner;
- evaluate learners in subjects of specialization and prepare them for national and other examinations;
- introduce new ideas and programmes to ensure improvement in teaching and
- learning in the subjects of specialisation;
- ensure consistency and improvement in curriculum delivery through teamwork and collaborative planning;
- serve as a role model and maintain learner discipline to create a conducive environment for learning;
- provide guidance and counselling services to learners to instil norms and values for harmonious co-existence;
- ensure safety and health of learners;
- ensure cleanliness of the school compound and tidiness of learners; xi. participate in workshops/seminars/symposiums to share ideas, and enhance knowledge in the subject areas;
- engage learners in curricular and co-curricular activities so as to identify, nurture and develop talents;
- organize remedial actions to support learners with performance gaps; and xiv. any other duty as may be assigned.