In the light of Covid-19 pandemic, teachers and learners/trainees will use face masks while in classrooms or in other learning facilities. Here are other guidelines in classroom management;
- Teachers shall ensure that ALL learners/trainees observe hygiene through hand washing using soap and water before entering classrooms and other tuition facilities
- Teachers and other staff members shall regularly wash their hands using soap and water or use hand-sanitizers before entering classrooms/lecture hall or tuition areas.
- Learners/trainees shall use the available learning materials such as text books individually. Sharing shall be avoided at all times
- Spacing between learners/trainees while in the classrooms/ shall not be less than one meter in all directions.
- Teachers shall avoid individual physical contact with learners/trainees and they shall ensure the one meter rule is observed at all times.
- During Games and Physical Health Education, individualized activities shall be implemented to ensure physical distancing is observed.
- Teachers shall demarcate by marking positions for the learners’ desks’ positions to ensure one meter distance is observed in the classrooms.
Psychological and Professional Support for Teachers and Non-Teaching Staff
The MoE in collaboration with Ministry of Health, TSC, BOM and county governments will support teachers and other education personnel in own health, well-being and stress management. They will:
- Strengthen teacher’s peer-to-peer support groups and provide online professional development and coaching sessions to support teachers’ wellbeing.
- Build the capacity of teachers in life skills, guidance and counselling to effectively respond to changes in social behaviour and in turn support distressed children,
- Provide appropriate psycho-social support to teachers and education officials including care givers to manage the impact of COVID -19 and deal with future crisis,
- Develop programs for professional development of teachers and institution personnel on issues that include: post COVID 19 instructional strategies, General and mental health, safety and communication, tracing and mapping of learners who have been abused and ICT teaching skills
- Build the capacity of teachers on ICT to promote interactive learning and support learning recovery through online professional development, coaching and use of
- Build the capacity of teachers to monitor learner/trainee and identify those experiencing particular difficulties when they are back in the institution,
- Provide psycho-social support by engaging teachers and non-teaching staff to talk about their experiences and more time for active engagement including team building.
- Build the capacity of education officials and teachers in assessments, monitoring and evaluation of learning,
- Provide support in form of inspections/follow up on institutional contingency plans development and implementation,
- Train Heads of institutions and teachers on coordinated community response and approaches on post COVID -19 traumatic stress disorder.