The Teachers’ employer has scheduled to train 60,000 Junior Secondary School teachers in Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) and Competency Based Assessment (CBA) starting 25th April to 13th May 2022.
As at now some 229,292 teachers have been trained on the CBC at primary school.
The commission has transferred more than 1,000 to high school ahead of the junior secondary rollout.
In a memo seen by this author TSC Boss Dr. Nancy Macharia has directed TSC county directors to Identify and invite the Trainers of Trainers (TOTs) for both regular and SNE for trainings that will be held at the county level.
Macharia further directs county bosses to identify and invite 6 Teachers per school for both regular and SNE using the prescribed criteria above for face-to-face training.
Also to be invited are 6 teachers from private schools. The schools will cater for transport and meals expenses (2 teas and lunch) for their teachers.
Identify, procure and prepare training venues as follows;
- One training venue for the TOTS training in the County (Preference be given to available TTCs).
- Training venues in each sub county for regular teacher training. (Preference be given to available TTCs).
- One SNE training venue in the county for SNE teacher trainings.
- Ensure the venues are appropriate for strict adherence to MOH COVID 19 protocols
The cascade model of training requires that the Master Trainers train the Trainers of Trainers (TOTs) and thereafter offer professional support during the face to face teachers training in the county and sub county.
The cascade model of training will be as follows;
- The Master Trainers train the Trainers of Trainers (TOTs) physically for 4 days.
- The TOTS train teachers face to face with strict adherence to MOH COVID 1 9 prevention protocols for 4 days.
- The Master Trainers offer professional support during teacher training at the County and Sub-County.
The target group for the training will be all the teachers handling grades 7, 8 and 9 from both public (regular and SNE) and private schools.
The first level of training will target teachers of Languages, Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities and Technical subjects.
The teachers will be clustered according to departments. Secondary schools will each nominate 6 teachers drawn from Languages, Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities and Technical subjects to participate in the training.
The target Teachers will be grouped as follows;
- Languages – English, Kiswahili, Foreign and Indigenous Languages and Kenya Sign Language.
- Pure Sciences -Integrated Science Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Health Education.
- Applied Sciences – Agriculture, Home science and computer studies
- Humanities – Social Studies (Citizenship, Geography, History) Religious Studies, (CRE, IRE, Hindu, HRE and PPI) and live skills.
- Technical subjects and Creative Arts – Pre vocational and pre career Business studies, music, sports and physical education Home science.
The specific dates for the smart cascade model of training are as follows:
|2nd to 6th May, 2022||County||Training of Trainers of Trainers (TOTS)||Face to face||Trainers of Trainers ( TOTS) drawn from TSC SCDs, CSOS, Tutors from TTCs, and Champion teachers)|
|9th to 13th May, 2022||Selected Venues at the county||Training of teachers clustered per subject category||Face to face||Teachers of Languages, Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities and Technical subjects.|
Trainers of Trainers (TOTs)
The Trainers of Trainers will train regular teachers at the Sub County level and the SNE teachers at the county level.
The following will participate as TOTS;
- Subject Tutors from teacher training colleges who are subject panelists with KICD (Both regular and SNE).
- Curriculum Support Officers with Bachelor’s degree in Education with two teaching subjects’ combination (Both regular and SNE).
- TSC Sub-County Directors with Bachelor’s degree in Education with two teaching subjects’ combination.
- Secondary schools Teacher Champions drawn from Languages, Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities and Technical subjects.
- Secondary school SNE champion teachers.