NHIF stands for National Hospital Insurance Fund which is actually a Government parastatal. It was established in 1966 as a department under the Ministry of Health.
NHIF caters for the health care needs of Kenyans by giving them a medical insurance cover enabling them to get affordable treatment when need arises.
Kenya is a country that is slowly but surely turning digital. Making contribution to your NHIF through mobile is now simpler and easier, thanks to mobile technology innovations like Mpesa.
Below are steps to follow when contributing to your NHIF, using Mpesa:
- On your mobile phone, go to the M-Pesa menu and select the Payment Services option.
- Select the Pay Bill option.
- Enter Business Number which is 200222.
- Enter Account Number – this is the contributor’s National Identity Card Number.
- Enter amount you wish to send and press okay.
- Enter your M-Pesa pin
- Confirm if the details are correct then press okay
- After successful submission, you will receive a confirmation SMS from M-Pesa