The TSC Act 2012 requires that every trained teacher to be registered by the Teachers Service Commission, before they can be assigned duties in any school in Kenya, be it a private and public school.
To back this TSC act, the ministry of education released a directive in late 2016 to all county commissioners to ensure that only qualified teachers to enter classrooms as from 2017. A qualified teacher is the one who has been registered by Teacher Service Commission and awarded a certificate of registration.
If you are a trained teacher and you don’t have a TSC number, no need to worry any more. I’m going to guide you through how to secure one.
It is good to note that TSC does not recognize any application made manually. This means that everything is done online.
TSC Teacher Education Minimum Requirements
|Certificate||C Plain in KCSE|
|Diploma||C+ (plus) at KCSE|
|Degree||C+ (plus) at KCSE|
In addition to above minimum requirements, teachers intending to teach secondary school must ensure that they have at least C +(plus) in the two teaching subjects. To get more information on minimum requirements for teacher registration click here.
To start the whole process, the following documents are scanned, to make them easier to upload;
- All academic certificates ( primary, secondary, university or college)
- College/ university transcripts.
- Your photo (passport size)
- Banking slip of a non-refundable registration fee (Kshs 1055 and Kshs 2055 for Duplicate certificate) to be deposited in the following TSC Registration Accounts National Bank of Kenya (for Direct Banking, account number is 01001000905001, or for Simple Banking use this Pay Bill Business Number 625625).
Remember that without this payment, registration won’t be processed.
After scanning all the required documents, follow the steps outlined below to start TSC Number registration process.
Note 1: Only original documents should be scanned and uploaded.
Note 2: For Expatriate Teachers, attach a letter of clearance from Ministry of Education Vetting Committee.
How to register and apply for a TSC Certificate
To register follow the following procure;
- Visit: teachersonline.tsc.go.ke
- Enter your ID or passport and surname and click NEXT
- Fill in the required details in the form that loads (KRA Pin, Email, Phone number e.t.c are required)
- Continue up to the last step.
Remember that it is a serious offence to deliberately give false information to the Teachers Service Commission. The law provides that any person convicted of the offence may be fined up to Ksh 100,000 or imprisoned for Twelve (12) months or both (Section 44 of TSC Act No. 20 of 2012).
How to check TSC Number Registration Status
Once you have finished all the online process, it will take less than a month before TSC number is assigned to you. To check whether you have successfully be assigned a TSC number click here teacher registration status and use your National ID number.
The commission will send the hard copy of the TSC Certificate to the postal address you provide during registration. This means that applicant is should make sure the postal address provided is authentic. If you have not received your certificate after month, contact the commission to get further clarification.