High Education Load Board (HELB) has invited 2019 Students who were successfully placed to institution of higher learning within the East African Community directly from high school to either public or private to apply for high education loan.
In order to allow ample time for processing, students are advised to apply at least one month before the opening date.
Types of Undergraduate loans
There are two types of undergraduate loan applications:
- First Time Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second & Subsequent Application-This is for applicants who are applying for a second, third, fourth time as per the program duration. Click here to Start application process
Register for an account on the HELB Website
Follow these steps to create an account
- Go to the HELB Website
- Create an account using your personal mobile number and email address.
- Activate the account and you will be able to access the service.
If you Forget your Password do not panic, just Use the “forgot password” option available on the portal to recover your account.
How to apply for HELB Undergraduate loan 2020/2021
- Visit HELB web Portal to register an account.
- Read and completely fill the HELB Financial Literacy Literature.
- Log into your account and click on the First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Link
- Select and duly fill in the 2020-2021 First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form under the print section.
- Take the form to the relevant authorities and guarantors for filling, stamping, and signing
- Sign your duly filled form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist on the last page of the Loan Application Form(LAF).
- Retain one copy of the duly filled LAF for reference – Mandatory!
- Present a single copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents to:
- The following HUDUMA Centers: Nairobi, Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi – Kapsabet, Thika, Garissa and Kitale.
- The HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way in Nairobi.
Deadline of HELB Undergraduate loan 2020/2021 application
Students have up-to December 31, 2020 to apply for the loan.
Documents required for first time Undergraduate HELB loan applicants
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent coloured passport size photograph of the applicant.
How HELB Loan is awarded
- The loan awarded ranges from a minimum of Ksh.40,000 and a maximum of Ksh.60,000.
- For those placed by Kenya University and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is split to cater for both Tuition fee and Upkeep while the Self-sponsored students, the money is sent directly to the university once a year as tuition fees.
- A standard amount of Ksh4,000 for Government sponsored students only is deducted from the loan awarded and disbursed to the university per semester for tuition [total Ksh8,000] and the rest is sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
- An Administrative Fee of Ksh500 per year is charged on the loan awarded and it is therefore deducted from the disbursed loan.
- A limited number of needy government sponsored students receive bursary of between Ksh4,000 and Ksh8,000 per year. The Bursary is paid to the university.
How to repay Student HELB loan
Undergraduate loan repayment starts within one year of completion of studies or within such a period as the Board decides to recall the loan whichever is earlier. However, you can make voluntary payments before or after you complete your studies to reduce your loan balance.
- Loans are charged 4% interest per annum
- Loan repayment commences one year upon completion of studies or as deemed fit by HELB.
- The loan is repayable up to a maximum of 120 months.
For more queries, applicants are advised to visit the Helb website: www.helb.co.ke