The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) opened its application portal for the 2022-23 National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) Education Grant Scheme on Tuesday, April 25.
The higher education board noted in a notice published in local newspapers that the grant was only available to students with disabilities.
“The scheme is open for all persons with disabilities registered with NCPWD and admitted in public and private universities, TVET institutions, approved medical training institutions, and other approved and accredited institutions of higher learning in Kenya,” the notice read in part.
Students who are eligible must be enrolled with the NCPWD under the new registration system or migrated to the new system.
Qualified applicants were required to submit their applications by Wednesday, May 17, 2023, at HELB’s main office, HELB desks at Huduma Centres, or NCPWD County Offices.
“At later dates, you will receive notifications on receipt and verification of application, award, and disbursements of the NCPWD Education Grant awards,” HELB announced.
HOW TO APPLY
Requirements for HELB Loan First Time Applications
You should provide the following documents with your HELB application form (enclosed in a single envelope):
- A copy of the applicant’s national identification card.
- Copies of the parents’ national identification cards/death certificates, if the parent is deceased.
- Copies of both guarantors’ national identification cards.
- A copy of the admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate of the applicant.
- A copy of the applicant’s bank ATM/bank card (for government-sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s institution’s Smart Card.
- One recent coloured passport photo of the applicant.
How to Apply for Your First Time HELB Loan
- To register, visit www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal, create and activate your account.
- Log in, navigate to Loan Application, and then click and select the 2022-2023 Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Read and evaluate your financial literacy online, and understand the purpose of credit.
- Access the Loan Application Form and fill it.
- Print 2 copies of the filled Loan Application form. Preview the form and make any required changes before submitting it for printing.
- Fill out the forms appropriately and sign where necessary.
- Read, comprehend, and sign to accept the loan terms and conditions and data protection consent form.
- Present one copy of the filled form and all the attached documents at; a) Any of the following Huduma centers nearest to you; Nairobi- GPO, Bomet, Bungoma, Chuka, Eldoret, Embu, Garissa, Kakamega, Kericho, Kilifi, Kisii, Kisumu, Kitale, Kitui, Lodwar, Machakos, Makueni, Meru, Migori, Mombasa, Murang’a, Nakuru, Nandi, Narok, Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Thika, West Pokot. b)HELB Student Service Centre, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi, OR c) Send to HELB through registered and secure mail or courier.
- Keep a copy of the completed and signed Loan Application Form [This is mandatory].
- After loan application submission, there will be progressive notifications on receipt, application verification, award and payout of upkeep and tuition loans, and, where applicable, bursary.
- Do not be duped, this Loan Application process is free.