Ministry of education has reaffirmed that schools will resume learning on 18th Thursday August after a two-week break that was occasioned by the August 9 General Election period.
Primary and secondary schools were closed on August 2, three days earlier than initial date i scheduled for half-term break.
Education Cabinet Secretary, Prof George Magoha over the weekend pushed the date once again to August 18 since the process of tallying was still going on.
“Following the conduct of our National Elections on August 9, the process of tallying of ballots is still ongoing. Therefore, following further consultations, I hereby convey the Government’s decision on the suspension of the re-opening of all basic education institutions with effect from Monday, August 15 until Thursday August 18. This communication supersedes any earlier communication on the re-opening of basic education institutions,” the CS said on August 13.
Since the Independent and Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has alread announced the election results on Monday, there has been relative calm across the country.
Kenyans will however be waiting for the outcome of an election petition to be filed in court by the Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya coalition, who have said they will pursue all available constitutional options to invalidate the presidential results announced.
Speaking to the media while commissioning phase 2 Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) classrooms in Embakasi,, said his Ministry would work closely with the IEBC to ensure that the polls do not disrupt school activities.
Third term is then scheduled to start on September 26 up to November 11, with only the examination classes expected to remain in school.
The Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination and Kenya Primary School Education Assessment (KPSEA) are to be taken for three days from November 28 while the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) from December 1.
Already, the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) has raised concern over the changing dates saying it is a sad state of affairs, given the immense financial and logistical factors involved in the re-opening of schools.
Kuppet Secretary General Akelo Misori said the Minister must issue a statement on the comprehensive term dates for schools for the rest of the year to remedy the situation.
Given the unpredictability of the changes, he stated that education stakeholders are uncertain whether the Minister will adhere to the new date, since the election programme is still unfolding.
As a result, schools, parents and learners find it hard to make plans based on the latest announcement.
“On August 1, KUPPET expressed our utter concern at the spontaneous announcement by Magoha, closing schools for the elections. The decision was universally condemned by all education stakeholders, none of which was consulted in its making,” said Misori, in a statement.
“Barely a week later, the Minister reversed himself on the proposed re-opening date he had decreed. Since then, he has reviewed the date twice, this time calling on schools to resume on Thursday August,” he added.