Mount Kenya university which is one the leading private institutions of higher learning in Kenya has reduced May/August 2020 semester by 30%.
Through a notice seen by this media, Dr. Ronald G. Maathai who is the registrar academic administration said the move is set to alleviate economic effects caused by Covid-19 pandemic.
“We wish to inform you that, in order to alleviate some of the economic effects of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic on our students, the university has decided to reduce fees for the May/August 2020 semester/trimester by up to 30% depending on the programme,”said Dr. Maathai.
Students have been adviced to visit their student portal so as to check specific fees details.
At the same time the university has indicated that it has finalized negotiations with Safaricom so as students and staff can get subsidized bundles to necessitate access of online resources.
“As communicated earlier, the university has also negotiated with Safaricom to offer our students and staff subsidized bundles to enable them to access online resources,” said Dr. Maathai.
MKU Online learning
Following the Presidential directive in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic, to suspend face-to-face learning in all institutions, the University Senate in a special meeting held on 16th March, 2020 MKU made the following resolutions:
- That the University has extended the online learning platform to the regular students (day, evening and weekend) to facilitate the learning process to complete the remaining part of the Semester / Trimester. When the University operations resume, students will be expected to sit for the January – April 2019/2020 Semester / Trimester examinations.
- That Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODEL) and Distance, Institution-Based and Electronic Learning (DIBEL) students will continue with their learning uninterrupted.
- That online learning will be supplemented through televised lectures in collaboration with TV 47.
- That through the Memorandum of Understanding between Mount Kenya University and Telkom Kenya, students will further be supported to access online learning resources.
- That students who are writing their theses and research projects will continue uninterrupted with the support of their supervisors.