With the new competence based curriculum now being part and parcel of Kenyan education system, the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) has developed a Competence Based Assessment Framework (CBAF) for basic education guided by Basic Education Curriculum Framework (BECF) and the Curriculum Designs for Early Years of Education(EYE).
KNEC has released instructions to guide in the identification and enrollment of all learners in grade 3 in all schools for administration of Kenya Early Years Assessment (KEYA)
Procedure for Identification/Enrollment of Grade 3 learners
The process of identification/enrollment of learners for Kenya Early Years Enrollment (KEYA) will be done on-line and is scheduled to take place between 1st July and 30th August. All head teachers are expected to ensure all learners in grade 3 in their schools are identified and enrolled within stipulated time.
In order to make this exercise simple, KNEC has developed KEYA Portal that will be used in enrolling all learners in grade 3. KEYA Portal is using data from National Education Management Integrated System (NEMIS) to enable head teachers identify their learners.
To access KEYA Portal Head-teachers will follow these steps
- Visit KNEC Website www.knec.ac.ke and click on the link KEYA Portal which will direct you to cba.knec.ac.ke.
- Schools which already have KNEC school code will log into KEYA Portal using KNEC school code as their username and password which they used during KCPE Examination registration.
- For schools that do not have KNEC school code, the headteacher will liaise with their Curriculum Support Officer (CSO) who will contact the Sub County Director of Education (SCDE) for coding of school and onward submission school code details to KNEC to facilitate its activation.
Upon successfully logging into school account, the head-teacher will be expected to click on menu on the extreme left of the portal and take the following steps:
Step 1: Click on the KEYA E-learning readiness questionnaire and provide the information required on school’s capacity to administer KEYA.
Step 2: Click on identify/Enroll learners to confirm whether all grade 3 learners are captured in The KEYA Portal provided through by NEMIS. By clicking on button “Enroll” which is on the extreme right on the screen, you will have enrolled the learner. If you wish to edit details of the learner click on the “Edit” button.
Step 3: Click on the button “Add Learner” to enroll a new grade 3 learner who may be missing from the list of learners in your school from the data provided. You will be provided with an option to search details of a learner from NEMIS data base. If you choose NO, the portal will then allow you to register the learner.
N/B The option of “SNE Pathway” is for learners who have servere disabilities and donot follow regular pathway.
How Grade 3 Learners details shall be captured on-line
The following are details of learners to be captured on-line:
1. Name of the learner
- The names used for KEYA enrollment shall be replica of the official names as they appear in learner’s Birth Certificate.
- The head-teacher should use the correct combination and order of the names as they appear on the learner’s Birth Certificate. This must be done in consultation with parent/guardian of the learner.
- The name of the learner should no be initialized; it must be written in full.
2. Gender of the learner
The gender of the learner shall be indicated as ‘M’ for male and ‘F’ for female.
3. Birth Certificate Number
The Birth Certificate number which is the Entry number(Not the serial number) shall be indicated.
4. Date of birth of the learner
Date of birth of the learner shall correctly be indicated as it appears in the birth certificate of the learner.
5. Citizenship of the learner
The status of citizenship of the learner shall be correctly indicated either as Citizen or a Non-citizen.
6. Special Needs and Disabilities
For learners with special needs and disabilities, the nature of the disability shall be correctly indicated and pathway.
Its important to note that the head-teacher can continually amend enrollment details of their learners during the enrollment period before 30th August, 2019.