Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) is a body that is mandated to conduct training for teachers/tutors in a bid to prepare them to become examiners for national examinations.
Each year, the body oversees administration of the following examinations;
- Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE),
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE),
- Primary Teacher Education (PTE),
- Early Childhood Development Education – Proficiency (ECDE) and
- Diploma in Teacher Education (DTE) examinations.
This therefore means that KNEC train Examiners each and every year so that manning and marking is conducted inline with the council’s standards.
Payment for KNEC Training
Each applicant will be required to pay training fee of KES. 10,500 through KNEC Mpesa pay bill Number: 819313 using own registered mobile phone number. For the Account Number, the applicant shall indicate the applicable examination i.e. KCPE; KCSE; PTE; DTE; Business or Technical.
The MPESA Reference Number must be captured on the application form in the space provided.
Qualified applicants will be trained to mark the above examinations. Successful trainees will be incorporated into KNEC Examiners’ database. KNEC will thereafter engage such examiners using criteria for recruitment of examiners based on the needs.
It is important to note that teachers who have already been trained as Examiners and are already in the KNEC database of examiners need not apply for the training.
General Qualification to join Examiners training programme
The following are requirements for one to be trained as KNEC Examiner;
- Be a practicing teacher in the relevant subject areas at the level of examination.
- Must be registered by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC).
- Have a minimum teaching experience of three (3) years.
- Must NOT be on interdiction or any other form of disciplinary action from the employer.
- Must be recommended by his/her Head of institution;
- Must be 50 years of age and below.
Specific Qualification for KCPE and KCSE Examiners
- Have a minimum qualification of P1 for KCPE examination with a minimum of a C +(plus) at KCSE level in the subject they are applying to train.
- Those applying to train for English Composition for SNE must have been trained in Special Needs Education.
Applications are therefore invited from interested and qualified teachers/tutors as follows:
Have a minimum qualification of P1 for KCPE examination with a minimum of a C (plain) at KCSE level in the subject they are applying to train.
Primary school teachers to train as KCPE Examiners in the following papers:
|English Composition for SNE||903/1|
Diploma in Education (and above) for KCSE marking.
Secondary school teachers to train as KCSE examiners in the following papers:
|English||101/1,2 & 3|
|Kiswahili||102/1,2 & 3|
|Mathematics Alt. A||121/1|
|Biology||231/1,2 & 3|
|Physics||232/1 & 3|
|Chemistry||233/1,2 & 3|
|History and Government||311/1 & 2|
|Geography||312/1 & 2|
|Christian Religious Education||313/1 & 2|
|Islamic Religious Education||314/1 & 2|
|Art & Design||442/1 & 2|
|Agriculture||443/1 & 2|
|Woodwork||444/1 & 2|
|Metalwork||445/1 & 2|
|Building Construction||446/1 & 2|
|Power Mechanics||447/1 & 2|
|Electricity||448/1 & 2|
|Drawing & Design||449/1 & 2|
|Aviation Technology||450/1 & 2|
|Computer Studies||451/1 & 2|
|French||501/1 & 2|
|German||502/1 & 2|
|Arabic||503/1 & 2|
|Kenya Sign Language||504/1 & 2|
|Music||511/ 2 & 3|
|Business Studies||565/1 & 2|
Those applying for PTE should have a diploma in education and above.
Tutors in Primary Teachers Training Colleges to train as PTE Examiners in the following papers:
- Those applying for DTE must have a degree in education and above
- Those teaching in secondary schools and have masters in education can also apply to be trained as PTE and DTE examiners.
Tutors in Diploma teachers training colleges to train as DTE examiners in the following papers:
- Have a minimum qualification of Diploma in the relevant area of specialization.
- At least one (1) academic level above the qualification of the examination he/she applies to be trained. (Refer to the specification for each paper in tables 5.0 and 6.0 above)
Tutors in Early childhood teachers colleges to train as ECDE examiners in the following papers:
Applicants will be expected to access the online form using the link; http://cp.knec.ac.ke/training, fill in their respective personal details and print. They will further be required to fill in sections 2.0 and 4.0 manually, attach the testimonials listed in the application form and forward to KNEC.
Only qualified Teachers/Tutors who have presented all the required documents will be shortlisted for the training exercise.
All Applications to be addressed to: Ag. Chief Executive Officer Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) P.O. Box 73598 -00200 NAIROBI