It is good news for Kenyans as president Uhuru Kenyatta announces that one person has fully recovered from covid-19 coronavirus. Speaking to the nation in a televised address, the head of state said that three more have tested positive bringing the total corona virus cases to 28.
“We have received confirmation of 3 positive coronavirus cases bringing the number to 28 cases. Today, we have registered our first patient who has fully recovered from the coronavirus”, said Uhuru.
President Uhuru also noted that as a precautionary measure against the virus, the government has implemented strict evaluation protocols involving enhancing testing and quarantine capacity.
“As a government, we have implemented strict evaluation protocols designed to test those who may be carriers of the coronavirus. We are continually enhancing our testing and quarantine capacity in collaboration with other partners”,asserted the president.
In a bid to cushion individuals and businesses the president directed the following reliefs:
- 100% tax relief for those earning a gross of up to 24,000
- Reduction of PAYE from 30% to 25%
- A reduction of resident income tax/Corporation tax from 30 to 25%
- Reduction of Turnover tax for SMEs to 1% from 3%
The head of state also directed the following;
- Appropriation of 10B to vulnerable members of society
- Temporary suspension of listing to CRB on arrears effective April 1
- Reduction of VAT from 16% to 14% effective April 1
- Ministries to pay 13B in verified pending bills within 3 weeks
In addition, President Uhuru indicated amid Covid-19 pandemic, top government official will undergo pay in the following manner:
- President Uhuru Kenyatta DP Ruto to take 80% pay cut
- Cabinet Secretaries & CASs 30% while PSs to take 20% cut .